You will be greeted by a polling place deputy and directed to a voter check-in station. Provide your ID to the Check-in Operator. Once your name has been located, you will be asked to sign the electronic signature pad or a voting pass. You will then be provided a secrecy sleeve containing your paper ballot. DURING EARLY VOTING- your specific ballot style will print on demand after Check-in.
If you are a person with a disability, or cannot read or write and would like someone to help you with the voting process, you can designate someone of your own choice (except your employer or an agency of your employer, or an officer or agency of your union) to provide such assistance. Election officials may also provide assistance. If you would like assistance, please advise the Check-in Operator.
HOW TO VOTE
Marksense ballot (paper ballot):
- All voting is by Marksense ballot which uses a marking device for the purpose of designating ballot selections and an optical scanner as the tabulator.
- For write-in candidates, fill in the oval to the left of the words write-in, and write the qualified write-in candidate's name on the line.
OVERVOTE : If you vote for more candidates in a race than what is indicated in the title of the race, your vote in that race will not count. This is called an overvote.
UNDERVOTE: You may choose not to vote on a Vote for One race or not to make multiple choices on a Vote for Two (or three, or four) race. This is called an undervote.
A message will be displayed on the tabulator screen if you have overvoted any of the races or inserted a blank ballot. However, a message will not be displayed if you have undervoted any race. The tabulator will count all properly marked races.
Accessible Voting Equipment For Voters With Disabilities:
Nassau County has at least one ballot marking device with an audio ballot feature available at each polling place and early voting site to accommodate persons with disabilities, enabling a person with a disability to vote without assistance if they choose. If the audio ballot feature is chosen, the voting instructions and ballot will be read to you through headphones. For privacy, the ballot will not appear on the screen.
- To vote, insert the ballot into the ballot marking device.
- Make your selections by touching your choice on the screen or using the keypad.
- Move through the ballot by touching Back or Next.
- Once you have reviewed our selections, touch the Mark Ballot button.
- Your choices will be marked on the ballot and the ballot ejected. Proceed to the tabulator or request assistance.
PROCEED TO THE TABULATOR
After reviewing your ballot, insert it into the tabulator. When you see, "Thank you for voting. Your ballot has been counted." on the screen, you have completed the voting process.
Once your ballot has been accepted by the tabulator, IT CANNOT BE RETRIEVED. Your ballot has been cast.
You will receive an I Voted sticker and you can exit the polling place with confidence that your vote counted.